Saturday, November 29, 2008

Colorado Leading the Way

The Rocky Mountain News today reports that 6 teachers have recently lost their licenses because they were involved in sexual misconduct with minors. There are no national statistics kept on crimes of this nature. They involve both male and female teachers. The difference is that the males usually have more than one partner, often exhibiting predatory behavior, while the women have just one partner, and think it's OK because they really, really love him...

Other areas where we are in the upper quadrants in the nation are the number of local citizens murdered by soldiers who have returned from Iraq, and teenage suicides. There is a theory that the looming presence of Pike's Peak serves to act as a depressant on the local population here in Colorado Springs, especially during the snowy winter months. 

Our fair city also boasts as having one of the highest alcoholic rates in the state, which I find dubious with the ratio of crappy, boring bars to innovative, hip ones. To be fair, I rarely go out anymore at night as I get older and grumpier, content to read while my sister's grandchildren are watching movies and cartoons and music videos. And when I was younger, I had a job where I had to pee in the cup for over 25 years, so I never had more than two beers when I would go out. Yup, I was the designated driver...

At one time, when Focus on the Family arrived, an attempt was made to make this place the home of evangelical Christianity. There are more churches than parks, and some of the larger ones have made national headlines for their corruption and deceitfulness. My mother, a staunch Republican who encouraged her children to be informed on the issues every election cycle, always said that you can tell how crooked a town is going to be; the more churches in town, the more corruption of its civic leaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for commenting. I always try to respond...